The first school in Mt. Hope was held in the kitchen of
the Blake Inn, shortly after the Civil War (1861-1865).
These classes were conducted by Miss Sue Warner. The
following year, the classes were conducted in a tenant
house on a local farm. The first school building was
built in 1872. In 1897, an additional room was added to
the original (one room) school building in 1897. The
school was increased to six-rooms not long after the
opening of several mines around the turn-of-the century.
Not long afterwards, a ten-room addition and an
auditorium were built. This school building burned during
the Fire of 1910. After the fire, two separate schools
were erected. A graded school was built with twelve rooms,
auditorium, library and office and a brick high school
with four large rooms and office upstairs and two
basement rooms (the building later known as the "Band
Building") were built in 1910. In 1925, the High
School (the present-day Middle School) was moved to a
newly constructed twenty-one room brick building. In 1917,
a brick six-room school building was constructed for use
by black students, known as DuBois High School.